Dough Roller and Table--The day crew (usually just two workers) would roll out the dough using this machine.  Flour was dusted over the wooden table and at the enty ramp to the roller to keep the newly risen and fairly sticky dough from adhering to these surfaces.  Starting with the largest size crusts first, handfuls of dough were ripped from the trashcan full of pristine risen dough, the rough edges of the handful were skillfully rolled under until you had a perfectly smooth, rounded surface and then it was tossed to the side until you had several rounds ready to be rolled.  Switching the dough roller on, you'd douse each round with flour and smash it flatter with both palms and feed it into the top ramp of the roller; as it was extruded, the round was transformed into an elongated ellipse;  you'd then turn it 90 degrees so that the flatter edge went down the next ramp (after you'd dusted the top with more flour) and the crust would emerge in a roughly rounded shape!  and proper thickness.  This thickness was determined either by eye, or more correctly, by folding the resulting cut crust and putting it on a scale to determine proper weight (anybody remember which weights for each size were correct?).  If the weight/thickness was off, there was a dial on the roller that you adjusted, it was surprisingly touchy.

Cutting the crusts into their final forms was performed with enlarged cookie-cutters.  The original Jost-era cutters were hand-made rings of stainless steel that had been spot-welded to stainless steel round tops.  These were the easiest and most comfortable to use because you had a perfectly smooth surface to push or pound against to cut out the crusts.  But as the years went on, the welds failed and we had to get new cookie-cutters.  These were also stainless steel, but only had central tubes running down the top of the middle to push down on, you couldn't pound comfortably on them, though some enterprising individual did line the tops of the rings with duct tape to make it a little less irritating.  Normally you'd cut two large crusts at a time, sometimes you could manage 3 or 4 of the smaller ones at once, but you risked pinching and deforming the sides.

Once the crusts were cut, 10 of each were stacked, with additional flour between them, on top of pre-ripped squares of aluminum foil.  A final square was placed on top, the corners folded inwards several times, the sides folded upwards as much as possible to protect the sides from drying out and a colored marker (different colors for different days) was used to write the order of rolling on the top to insure the "oldest" stack was used first.  The crusts were then placed on the stainless steel shelves above the dough table to rise a second time.  When they had risen, all of the crusts were placed in the walk-in frig to cool and firm up.  Crusts that had not yet been allowed to rise or refrigerate made inferior pizzas.  Those that had been allowed to rise too long were subject to massive deflation upon docking and didn't necessarily make good crusts either.  It took some experience to get it just right.

Below the dough table was a galvanized metal shelf that held plastic and metal pots for food prep, tupperware containters to store pizza and salad ingredients in and the multibladed hand slicer used to slice eggs for the salad bar and green olives and jalapenos in the early days when we bought them whole rather than sliced.  You'd have to dig out the jalapeno stem with your thumbnail, which wasn't comfortable if you had a hangnail, and then your jalapeno-juice soaked hand would become extremely heat sensitive when you put a pizza in the oven!  After the dough had been rolled and the area cleaned up with the flour brush, a small gray trash can was hooked to the outside of the dough roller to hold the Pepperidge Farm sub buns that we used for subs, garlic bread (for spag) and later, cheese bread.